Today I finally got access to GooglePlus and leapt in setting up my circles etc. Putting aside the fact that a significant portion of the people I follow aren't on there yet, it seems like a very slick service and I think it has a lot of potential. But there's a fair amount of muddle in there too.
+1, Comment, Like, Share
Google are attempting to link many of their existing services together with Google Plus and this makes a lot of sense, but at the moment it also seems to be leading to some redundancy and for me at least, confusion. For example on my profile I now have a Posts page which lists the stuff I'm specifically sharing in Google+. These items can be +1'd Commented or Shared.
Then I have my +1 page which lists the stuff that I have +1'd around the web, but not the stuff that I've +1'd on Google+. Since a +1 is not a share as such, I haven't shared these items in Google+, but the link will be visible through my profile.
And then there's Google Buzz which contains all my Google Reader shares. Although they are shares, they have not been shared in Google+, only in Reader and Buzz. These items can be Liked or Commented but there doesn't seem to be any way to share them in Google+ from this screen.
Can you understand my confusion?
Where to Share?
On top of the question of how best to share things in Google+, there's the matter of how to connect it to my other social networks. This is my current arrangement:
- Reader Shares are piped into Buzz and from there into Twitter
- Reader Shares also go to my blog as a Daily Link Digest
- Blog Posts are piped into Twitter
- My Twitter Feed is posted as a digest on my blog (a little recursive, but not too much)
- My photos are posted via Posterous to Tumblr, Flickr, Picassa, Facebook and my Blog (so they also end up on Twitter)
So where does that leave Google Plus?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. The Circles structure means that I can aim my posts very specifically in Google+ which will allow me to maintain groups for Tech, SciFi, Photography etc. But how I'm going to connect that content to the rest of my social sites is a big vague right now.
- Google+ or 1+ or something (ernietheattorney.net)
- Google Plus as Google's glue (charman-anderson.com)
- First thoughts on Google Plus (gautamblogs.com)
- The story so far: Google+ (mmitblog.wordpress.com)
- Google+ Profiles Will Be Public: Google To Terminate All Private Profiles After July 31st (searchengineland.com)
- Thoughts on Google+... (shannonturlington.com)
- The Google Plus 50 (chrisbrogan.com)