Things You Didn't Know About Death

Death. It's coming for you. Whether you like it or not.

But here are a few weird facts you probably didn't know about death.

Above all… make sure you don't lack oxygen…

proxy?container=focus&gadget=a&resize h=100&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdailyinfographic.com%2Fwp content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F04%2Fdeath page Things You Didn't Know About Death

15 Things You Didn't Know About Death [infographic]
An infographic with 15 interesting facts about death.

21 thoughts on “Things You Didn't Know About Death

1. April 2, 2012 at 15:00

Number 15 is great. However, I demand a refund from the author of the infographic, because I already knew at least half of these, and the title specifically promised 15 things I didn't know.

2. April 2, 2012 at 15:08

makes me want to watch six feet under.

3. April 2, 2012 at 15:13

Assumed room temperature… new favourite expression.

4. April 2, 2012 at 15:13

(Oh, and I agree with +Stevie Miller, I wanted things I didn't know.)

5. April 2, 2012 at 15:27

I tell you what. You can both have a full refund. Enjoy your $0 :D

6. April 2, 2012 at 15:28

assumed room temperature is great … lol

7. April 2, 2012 at 15:28

My time is worth more than $0!

8. April 2, 2012 at 15:28

Way bogus number in there – the average burial puts 'hundreds of gallons' of embalming fluid into the story. Ehrm… the average human body displaces about 18 gallons according to WolframAlpha – and that would be assuming total body replacement with embalming fluid, so that would be an upper limit.

I certainly don't recall having attended a funeral where they poured in eleven extra people worth of embalming fluid into the grave.

9. April 2, 2012 at 15:29

Do you have a receipt +Abi Grey?

10. April 2, 2012 at 15:30

I do wish more people would go without embalming fluid — if you're willing to do a quick, closed casket funeral, the embalming fluid is completely unnecessary.

11. April 2, 2012 at 15:31

isnt the embalming thing required by law?

12. April 2, 2012 at 15:31

Personally I have no wish for an open casket and never saw the appeal of it.

13. April 2, 2012 at 15:35

+vita tres no, embalming is not required by law except in a very few circumstances. i know this only because embalming is not allowed in the religion i grew up in, so i know that when my mom kicks it, we have to make sure she doesn't get embalmed.

14. April 2, 2012 at 15:35

Funerals would be much more fun if we included exotic dancers. And now I know never to go to the hospital, since I'm most likely to die there. :P

15. April 2, 2012 at 15:35

+Eoghann Irving A receipt? I could send you the bill if you'd like.

And open caskets are weird. I not bothered by death and the details of death, but I don't care to think people are coming about to look at my dead body… that would be weird.

16. April 2, 2012 at 15:39

Local laws may or may not require embalming, although there are always exceptions for religious belief.

Personally, an open casket funeral is not something I want for myself, but it does allow people to actually confront the fact of death and to say goodbye in a conclusive way. It was common in earlier times to leave the body on display at home for a while and to make children kiss the corpse. As disturbing as that sounds, it was probably healthier than trying to completely deny the fact of death and just, as it were, sweeping everything under the rug.

17. April 2, 2012 at 15:42

+Eoghann Irving So I'm going to stay out of Hospitals, Bathrooms, and New York…that should add another 10 years to my life

18. April 2, 2012 at 15:52

i went to an irish wake a week ago. it was pretty cool.

19. April 2, 2012 at 15:52

I just imagined the last one at a normal German funeral… OMGS. lol

20. April 2, 2012 at 16:01

I was at an open casket funeral two months ago, and I thought it gave good closure to those in the family who wanted to say a final goodbye and see that Grandpa was, in fact, no longer present in that body. I don't think anyone wants to come face to face with death, but I think some people could do with a little more reality and a little less avoidance. Then they wouldn't do so much of that "OMG, I can't believe famous celebrity actually DIED!! How is it possible???"

21. April 2, 2012 at 16:12

Of course death is something we all liked to ban.
    And it is normal and necessary that we don't think about our own mortality all the time.
    But death does not go away, by ignoring it. And I don't think that the tendencies to ignore old age and to 'erase' it from our faces will help with coming to terms with the ineviteable.