This is the first really bad news I've heard about the Kindle Fire

And it just might be a deal breaker for me. I'm fine with the customized OS and the lack of camera, but blocking APIs and restricting apps I really don't like.

proxy?container=focus&gadget=a&resize h=100&url=http%3A%2F%2Fandroinica.com%2Fwp content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F11%2Famazon appstore 2 This is the first really bad news I've heard about the Kindle Fire

Kindle Fire will get Hulu Plus and “several thousand” apps, but not all Android apps will be compatible
The Amazon Kindle Fire launches next week with thousands of apps available through the just re-launched Amazon Appstore for Android. Amazon just sent us a note that Hulu Plus and ESPN Scorecenter will be among the big names of apps joining the lineup of Fire options.
However, according to tech mover and shaker Robert Scoble, not all Android apps will be compatible with the Kindle Fire. Scoble made a comment on Google+ that a developer showed him an amazing Android app for phones and tablets t…

15 thoughts on “This is the first really bad news I've heard about the Kindle Fire

1. November 11, 2011 at 17:54

I haven't seen the list of APIs but the Fire is so stripped down (no phone, no camera, etc) that it probably doesn't need half the APIs as my 4g phone. Does the Fire even have GPS? No APIs needed for location then either…it looks like an incredibly static device which pretty much fits the $200 price point.

2. November 11, 2011 at 17:58

If you want a tablet to do more, get a big tablet. This is for those of us who wanted a reader with just a little bit more at a reader price. Do not treat this first release as some big tablet release!

3. November 11, 2011 at 18:00

I want a tablet that does more but comes in around this price point.

4. November 11, 2011 at 18:12

We've come a long way with pricing, but we're not there yet for tablets. You can wait for the next release of the Fire which will probably have a camera, but I suspect they will continue to block a lot of API's and apps. If you depend on a huge range of apps, you should consider saving up for something else. I suggest a Samsung, but that's because my personal experience using it was fabulous.
    The price tag directly reflects Amazon's wish to get more Amazon users. If it works smoothly, it will be successful. It will not be successful for everyone, but this tablet is definitely a trade-off.

5. November 11, 2011 at 18:18

I'm not interested in a $400 tablet. The price/value just isn't there for me. I'd be better off sticking with my Netbook at that point.

6. November 11, 2011 at 18:20

If the constriction bothers you then that would probably be a better option, at least until we see what the next release holds. It won't be long coming :)

7. November 11, 2011 at 18:33

Depending on the RAM on this thing, you won't be able to install all the apps available anyways. As an android user, most of the decent apps probably only number to max of 1000 or so. I wouldn't dismiss the fire right away unless there is an app you absolutely need is not included.

8. November 11, 2011 at 18:37

It's more that it's locked down. Which was always a possibility but previously unconfirmed. I'm not interested in a computer or tablet that's locked down.

I like being able to install all sorts of weird stuff on my phone and just try things out.

Now when someone gets round to rooting this thing…

9. November 11, 2011 at 18:38

Is it rootable? We like our rooted Nook color. Though, we'll now be in the car and my 4-year-old will pipe up, "Mommy, do we have Wi-Fi?"

10. November 11, 2011 at 18:41

Nobody knows for sure yet, but there are very few android based devices that aren't rootable one way or another.

Still there's always the new Nook which is only $50 more.

11. November 11, 2011 at 18:41

I've given up even looking at stuff that won't do at least 2 and preferably lots more things. For instance I wanted a gaming box so picked up a PS3 for the Blu-ray capability. Got an android phone for the Kindle app, rather than a Kindle. If it's software related, why specialise on one thing. It just becomes useless after a couple of years. Anyone want a Sony eReader?

12. November 11, 2011 at 18:43

The fact that I'm looking at getting a Galaxy Nexus with it's nice big screen, does significantly reduce the value of a Kindle Fire to me.

The phone should be easily big enough for me to read comfortably and will play music just fine.

13. November 11, 2011 at 18:43

Yeah, I was looking at that too. Want to see how the first batch go first though.

14. November 11, 2011 at 18:45

I've read plenty of books on my Droid 2. I do have to turn pages more frequently, but since I can hold it in one hand and swipe with my thumb, that's not a big deal. (And my hands are probably on the small side for an adult.)

15. November 11, 2011 at 19:32

Just wait for the jailbreak to bust open the full droid OS and life will be fine. :)