Anyone still want to tell me that 5MP isn't sufficient for a good camera on a…

Anyone still want to tell me that 5MP isn't sufficient for a good camera on a phone?

Androinica » Galaxy Nexus fans: see a taste of the camera’s power with this photo gallery
Curious about the camera quality of the Galaxy S? Here are a few snapshots to give you a better idea.

12 thoughts on “Anyone still want to tell me that 5MP isn't sufficient for a good camera on a…

1. November 4, 2011 at 15:24

People who think 5MP isn't enough for a sensor that's as tiny as the kind that are in phones just don't know enough about how digital camera technology works.

5MP is plenty good for taking snapshots, and image quality will go up not from MP increases, but with better sensor/larger sensor, better optics, and better software.

2. November 4, 2011 at 15:27

If 5MP isn't enough for a person, that person really shouldn't be using a cellphone camera anyway.

3. November 4, 2011 at 15:27

The resized jpg's linked on that site really don't help us see the quality of the Nexus camera though.

4. November 4, 2011 at 15:30

Actually you could do an 8×10 print and still hit 240DPI which is easily print quality.

Factor in viewing distance and I'm betting a 13×10 would look just fine assuming the sensor is up to it.

5. November 4, 2011 at 15:40

Actually I'd disagree +Tim Glaser. Those images tell us a lot about the quality in low light, it's depth of field, color and much more.

All of which are more important to me than megapixels.

6. November 4, 2011 at 15:42

When my camera was 1.3MP, I never had a problem with the quality.At 3MP I never, ever viewed a picture at full resolution unless I was cropping it because I wanted a pic of something on the horizon.
    Numbers keep going up, but for most uses, it quickly becomes a bigger number for the sake of being a bigger number. Now maybe if you're actually a photography enthusiast, it would be worth getting a camera with better contrast response, more optical zoom, and better optics in general. But just adding pixels?

7. November 4, 2011 at 15:51

I would love to see new metrics for camera wars. Super-slo mo, night-vision, infra-red, just to name a few. But the number of consumers who'd care about these things is far fewer than the number of people who walk up to the counter and say "How many megapickels [sic] do I need?"

8. November 4, 2011 at 15:54

Big selling points for the Galaxy Nexus camera as far as I'm concerned?

Touch to focus (crucial)
    Fast

9. November 4, 2011 at 16:10

I don't really care about the MP size. I know that it's actually a relatively small factor in the quality of the shot. I just use whatever comes with the phone I have. I currently have the evo 4g, and it has an 8MP camera. I've used 5MP cell phone cameras though, and I actually thought that the difference in quality between the 8 and the 5 was negligible.

10. November 4, 2011 at 17:06

The camera on my HTC Sensation is fantastic. I am using it more than my point-and-shoot digital camera. Depth of field, colour, speed, touch-focus, blink/smile/face recognition all superb. I have printed a few of the photos, something I've never done before with phonecam pictures.

11. November 4, 2011 at 17:10

by 'superb depth of field' I assume you mean almost everything is always in focus? The smaller the sensor the larger the DoF will be at a given focal length/aperture.

12. November 4, 2011 at 17:51

Id argue that 5mp is too much for a camera that small :)